Tax Tools Are Available Taxpayers Can Visit Irs.Gov for Tools to Help with a Wide Range of Tax Topics
Finding answers to tax questions is only a few key clicks away. Millions of taxpayers use the following self-help tax tools on IRS.gov to easily find what they need:
- IRS Free File. Taxpayers with an extension of time to file their return until October 15 can use IRS Free File to prepare and e-file their tax return. Free File allows them to use brand-name commercial tax software at no cost. It is available for anyone with income below $64,000.
- Where’s My Refund? Taxpayers waiting for their refund can use Where’s My Refund? to check the status of a refund. This tool is available at IRS.gov or the IRS2Go mobile app. Refund updates are available within 24 hours after the IRS receives the e-filed return or four weeks after the agency receives a mailed paper return.
- Paying a tax bill. IRS Direct Pay is the safe, easy and free way to pay taxes or estimated tax directly from a checking or savings account. Those wondering if they owe money to the IRS can view their tax account information on IRS.gov to find out. The Direct Pay tool has five simple steps to pay in a single online session and is also available with the IRS2Go mobile app.
- Tax account online. Taxpayers can use this tool to view their federal tax account balance, select IRS Direct Pay, debit or credit card or apply for an installment agreement. Before accessing their tax account online, taxpayers must authenticate their identity through the secure access process.
- Online payment agreement. Taxpayers who can’t pay their taxes in full can apply for an online payment agreement. Using the Direct Debit payment plan option allows certain taxpayers to make monthly payments.
- Interactive tax assistant. Taxpayers can find reliable answers to tax questions with the interactive tax assistant. This tax law resource asks a series of questions and immediately provides answers on a variety of tax law topics.
- Exempt organizations tool. Anyone looking to make a charitable donation can use the tax exempt organization search tool. This tool allows users to search for and verify a charity’s status. The results include links to check each organization’s federal tax status and filings.
- Tax map. Taxpayers can use the IRS tax map to quickly find forms, publications, frequently asked questions and news.
More Tax Tools Available Here